Aug 23, 2007

Blogging

I never fail to wonder how some people manage to write such intricate and philosophical blogs. I wonder how people manage put their thoughts into a flowing script too. For me, I would ponder about what i want to blog about. But by the time i start typing my thoughts down, I would have forgotten what I had previously pondered about. Doesn't anyone face this problem???? My brain is like a mind-map: I keep linking from one thought to another. By the time I start blogging, I've forgotten how or where I started. Then I would go "Forget it!" That's the reason why my blog is filled with pics rather than words. But hey, a picture is worth a thousand words.

Anyway, I decided to make another attempt and blog about my life back at NUS. BORING. period.

Thanks to my mom's brilliant advice, i took 2 extra modules during year 1 special sem (before the steep hike in special sem rates too!) So, I only need to deal with 3 level 4000 mod + 1 level 5000 mod this sem. More important, my dream of having a 2-day week came true!! In Singaporean-style, 'shiok!!!' Level 4000 mods is not really much different from level 3000 mods- the readings list is still as extensive, just that there is more focus on group presentation. I don't even need to write a single essay or paper this sem. Bizarre, considering I'm a social science student. I guess it's the label "level 4000" and the pressure of holding onto my 2nd upper that is making me quite unnerved. Others are also feeling the heat of being in our senior year, especially yiwei lol (p.s. for once u are more stressed than our dearest janet). Also, I've been described as "crazy" and "insane" for I had willingly bidded for a level 5000 psy module on statistics. Sure, it was intimidating seeing all those graduate students in my class, but numbers are a welcome change to my world of journal articles.

Ever since my mom & I got back from America, she has been in a hypersensitive mode. She simply couldn't get over the fact that my bro dropped out of his engineering PhD program (my bro wanted to get a PhD in B.A. instead, so he decided to start working to gain experience. According to him, he will do his PhD in about 4 yrs' time. However, my mom doubts he will do so.) Just 2 nights ago I was wakened by my mom's loudspeaker voice at 3am. Apparently she had woken up feeling angry about the whole issue and decided to call my bro to give him a piece of her mind (which she has been doing almost daily during our 3 week tour around America). I can understand why she is so upset, but I really wish she wouldn't transfer her anger to me. She has gotten the mindset that getting a Masters degree is the basic nowadays. Reason? Because everybody is doing honors. Honors certificate is very common today. So she's telling me to go for the america PhD program where you do your Masters in the 1st year and your PHD in the remaining 4 years. I thought it is a really good deal- 5 yrs for both masters & PHD degree! Since year 3 I've been planning to do my Masters in the U.S., hence everything falls into place nicely: I'll try out the PhD program and if I can barely survive the 1st yr, I'll grab my masters degree and run. I have never ever thought I am PhD material. PhD degree seems beyond my reach. To not give my mom high hopes, I told my mom realistically that "I'll do my masters first and see how." She wasn't satisfied with this answer at all, and decided to use reverse psychology on me: "Fine, it's up to you. It's your life. BUT dont regret it when everyone around you is PhD (in mandarin)"